Burton on the Wolds Primary School
The first record of a school in our catchment area is the founding of a free school in the small parish of Prestwold in 1660. This school which was in St Andrew’s Church, is the direct ancestor of our school today!
In 1670, the parish acquired a schoolhouse, which was built in the churchyard with rooms for teaching and accommodation for the master. The children of Burton on the Wolds would have attended this school.
In 1834 a new Girls School was built in Prestwold by Mrs Packe of Prestwold Hall. This school served the community for almost 50 years and later became the Sunday school.
Around 1840, a second new building was erected to replace the old school in the churchyard. The new’ Free (boys) School’ was built by C W Packe. The school was located at the road junction between the B675 and B676, just inside the Burton boundary. This school was enlarged in 1881 to provide two separate classrooms and cloakrooms. Outside there were toilets and separate playgrounds for boys and girls.
This building had a lucky escape in November 1940 when a German bomber crashed into the field below the school garden hedge, scattering its full load of bombs!
On 31st August 1966 the school we see today was built on Barrow Road, Burton on the Wolds.
In school we are proud of our strong community links.
This includes our local showman traveller site. Students in school celebrated this by creating a mural with local artist Hayley Fern.